Are Electric Longboards Legal In The US?
Are Electric Skateboards Legal In The US?
In most of the states of the United States, electric skateboards have not yet been legalized. However, there are some places in America, where anyone can ride an electric skateboard with some limitations. Electric skateboarding is comparatively a new concept and it has started to hit the mainstream just in recent days. As we are quite aware, that technology moves way faster than our governments work, so e-skaters are right now stuck somewhere waiting for the federal laws to catch up. But everything isn’t lost yet. Some of the federal governments and states have already taken some steps to determine the future of electric skateboards.
Here we will be discussing some facts and the legality aspects of e-skateboards in the US.
The legality of Electric Skateboards in California
Here comes the good news for the residents of California. Electric skateboards are now legal to ride in California. According to the Bill AB-604 Electrically motorized boards (2015-2016), here are some rules you need to adhere to:
- Wearing a helmet is mandatory.
- The minimum age of riding an e-skateboard is 16 years or older.
- Riding on the roads is permitted under a speed limit of 35mph.
- E-skaters cannot ride on the highways.
- E-skaters should not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol while riding.
- The speed of an electronic skateboard shouldn’t be above 15mph while riding on some public properties.
- The power of an electric skateboard shouldn’t be more than 1000W.
- While riding an e-skateboard at night, you must have a red rear reflector, front white light and yellow reflectors on the side.
The legality of Electric Skateboards In Michigan
E-skateboards are now made legal in Michigan. After the House Bill 5391 came out in 2018, e-skaters can now enjoy the freedom of riding their skateboards just like the cyclist do. Electric skateboard laws are quite similar to the federal rules that apply to the cyclist. Anyone can ride their e-boards under 25mph and the skateboards must not have 2500W of power on offer. E-skateboards are only eligible to transport one person at a time.
The legality of Electric Skateboards in New York
Both riding an electric skateboard and even an electric bike are made illegal in New York. This law, made by the state government, created a massive public outrage. Though no efforts what so ever has been made by the authorities to reconsider electric skateboard laws in New York.
The legality of Electric Skateboards in Texas
Well, here in Texas there aren’t any specific classification for e-skateboards. Road laws of mopeds, golf carts, and all other low powered vehicles make the e-skateboard come under the motor-assisted scooter category. This statement makes it legal for e-skaters to ride their boards under certain conditions.
Here are some rules that must be followed if anyone is planning to buy or ride an electric skateboard in Texas.
- Riding an e-board must only be done in a separate bicycle lane.
- E-boards can only be used on the roads where the speed limit is 35mph or less.
- It is better to ride an e-board on the sidewalks of the road.
Here are the laws of some states where you can ride an electric skateboard. However, it is always a good idea to check with your local laws if you are planning to buy or ride an e-board in your city.